Implementation Guide for Assistance of Faculty and Staff with Disabilities at the University of Tokyo
Revised December 1, 2009
Article 1. In conformance with provisions specified in the Basic Law for Persons with Disabilities, the Law for Employment Promotion, etc., of Persons with Disabilities, other laws and ordinances, and the University of Tokyo Charter, this guide clarifies the responsibilities of the president, managing directors, faculty, and staff in assisting faculty and staff with disabilities at the University of Tokyo and defines basic issues regarding work support for faculty and staff with disabilities.
Article 2. The terms listed are to be used as follows:
- Faculty and staff members with disabilities eligible to receive assistance: Those who have considerable continuous restrictions in working conditions due to their disability, including mobility, intellectual, or mental impairments, and those who themselves request assistance, provided that the need for such assistance is confirmed by the Director of the Disability Services Office (DSO).
- Department and division directors: Heads of faculties, graduate schools including graduate schools basic to education and research excluding graduate courses defined in the provision on Article 66 of the School Education Law, university institutes, university libraries, university hospitals, and university-wide centers.
Responsibilities of President and Managing Directors:
Article 3. The president and managing directors are responsible for promoting work assistance, etc., for faculty and staff members with disabilities while ensuring their working conditions.
Faculty and Staff Responsibilities:
Article 4. Faculty and staff members are responsible for cooperating proactively in implementing work assistance while working to ensure suitable conditions for faculty and staff members with disabilities.
1. The University of Tokyo DSO is responsible for preparing plans for implementing work assistance for faculty and staff with disabilities.
2. The University’s DSO is responsible for promoting and implementing work assistance for faculty and staff with disabilities based on the implementation framework stated in the preceding paragraph.
3. Department and division directors are responsible for appointing persons in charge of implementing work support for faculty and staff with disabilities and implementing support working with the University’s DSO.
Regulations and Budgetary Measures Improvement:
Article 6. To attain the purpose of this guide and to implement support, the president, managing directors, and department and division directors are responsible for working to improve regulations and putting budgetary measures into actual practice.
Article 7. In addition to the above, the president may specify other matters required to implement this guide.
This guide takes effect as of September 22, 2004.
University of Tokyo Regulation No. 39, December 1, 2009
This regulation shall take effect on December 1, 2009, and provisions for the Revised Implementation Guide for Assistance of Students with Disabilities Studying at the University of Tokyo shall go into effect on July 1, 2009.